Spring and summer can be a difficult time for a knitter. The warm layers are begging to be thrown off and toes long to be free from wooly socks. In general, the inspiration or knitting mojo can fade in the face of longer days. Luckily for you, we’ve got just the ticket to keep your needles clicking all through the year. We are happy to announce the first KWA Spring/Summer Top KAL!
While the winter jumper certainly owns the lion’s share of knitting patterns, there are loads of really inspiring and (most importantly) wearable knitting and crochet patterns that are perfect for warmer temperatures. We have it a bit easier here in the UK as winter isn’t terribly well known for getting very hot, which means that lots of patterns are wearable in the evenings and cooler days all year round. But there are also lots of customers will travel to warmer climates for their holidays, or maybe they are lucky enough to live there year round! We have been pinning loads of breezy knits onto our Summer KAL board. (https://www.pinterest.com/mayaknits/kwa-summer-knit-a-long/) We have everything from linen sleeveless tops to wear on their own to lightweight wool blend cardigans that are perfect for layering.
The rules of the KAL are:
1. Cast-on will be March 20, the first day of spring! If you have a summery WIP that you would like to finish, they will be counted as well.
2. Cast off will be June 21, the first day of summer, just in time to wear our new creations over the summer.
3. Use any KWA yarn to knit something summery. We are focusing on tops, but feel free to branch out into some wraps.
4. Tops and sweaters for children are totally allowed. You don’t have to knit for yourself, though we would never argue against knitting something special just for you!
5. Post your finished projects on our KAL board on Ravelry to enter for prizes! You can chat about your current projects in our general Ravelry board. Feel free to tag any posts on other social media sites with #KWAKAL to keep us posted on your progress.
6. Did we say prizes? We did! We will randomly draw winners for some excellent prizes at the end of the KAL. The grand prize is £100 for you to spend at Knit with attitude, there will also be runner ups and a whole lot of goodies to be won. Keep your eye on our social media to be updated as new prizes are added.
We will be back with regular features leading up to the KAL and during it talking about yarns and techniques, as well as what we are knitting ourselves.
What are your summer knitting plans? We would love to hear what projects and yarns you are planning on using, in the comments below and on Ravelry.